Weight Loss Tracker - Phase 3

Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Weekend & Question

Last weekend was the first time since I started losing weight that I wasn't in the comfort of my own home for all or most of my meals. I knew it was going to be a challenge. To start, my husband took me to a movie and a nice restaurant for Valentine's Day. Now, before this year, I would never go to a movie without getting popcorn. Instead, since we knew we needed something to eat, we chose to get soft pretzels instead. Then, at the restaurant, I ordered a petite filet mignon and some grilled asparagus. I did splurge and had a few spoonfuls of potatoes, which were amazing. We did end up getting a creme broule for dessert, but we split it between the two of us. We stayed at my husband's parents' house that evening and spent Valentine's Day there where we had a birthday party for my almost 4 year-old and one of my nephews. The hardest part of the day was trying to stay away from the abundant treats and V-day goodies. However, I found it really hard to turn down a cookie that my daughter gave me for Valentine's day because she said "I needed it." So, I indulged in the name of love. I did well on my portions during our family dinner, and had a small slice of pumpkin pie and one scoop of ice cream.

The one thing I didn't do well on was my water consumption and getting my proper snacks. So, this morning, I didn't really know what to expect when I weighed in. I was shocked to find out I weighed the same as I did on my Friday weigh-in. I was stoked, but curious as to why I hadn't gained after I had splurged a little over the weekend. I think there are a few factors: 1) I didn't drink much water which may have dehydrated me a little and caused a lower number on the scale (gaining back that water weight is worth it to me) 2) Since I didn't have my regular snacks, I hadn't eaten as many calories which balanced out my small indulgences, 3) My husband and I tried to make better choices when we were out of our regular environment. This is a big step for us, and we both acknowledged the change, and 4) Although I didn't have a formal workout over the weekend, I did feel as though I didn't just sit around and vegetate, we stayed active; and I was usually carrying my 17-pound baby, which can be a good workout anyway.

Okay, so now I am back on track and ready to lose some weight this week; but I do have a question for my vast readership (thanks, Josie!). My husband wanted to give me a Valentine's gift that would help me meet my weight-loss goal. He left it pretty wide open and let me choose what would be most helpful. So, I think I want to get some sort of exercise DVD to mix things up a bit and encourage different movements. Are there any DVDs you would recommend? I don't really have a lot of equipment at home, but I could probably get something inexpensive if the DVD required it. Thank you, in advance, for your input!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi--Jimmy got me a ball at Target--$22, I think. It came with a DVD and an elastic band. Some of the exercises are tough! I also love my 5 lb wts (funny story, I was really worried about gaining wt on my mission, and took a set with me to Chile!) They work well for arm exercises--are light enough to get some good reps in.

    ReplyDelete